Old 10-02-11, 11:29 PM
DLP

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Super Sport, 1990? Bottecchia Cromor, 2005 Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ethman
Sorry to hear that happened in Northridge. Where were you when this took place? I generally try to stick to streets with lighter traffic. Doesn't always work in my favor. I was on Lindley one morning when some jack-ass drove by in a truck and tried to pick a fight with me.
Bummer to hear. Still, I see enough cyclists out regularly to think that I'm not cruising around in a war zone. I grew up in Ventura county and remember hearing horror stories of what the kids in Calabasas and Thousand Oaks (optherwise really nice areas) would pull on cyclists, so I doubt I should expect different in a place like that. At least in Ventura you could count on the PD to investigate such ridiculousness more closely.

Originally Posted by big john
I've been a member of the SFVBC since 1989 and we start most of our rides a block from there. Check us out on-line or just join us Sat or Sun at 8:00.
I may just do that. You'll know me as the guy in the tri gear with a primered 1970s Schwinn SS. Who knows... maybe my assailant was just another cyclist with hyper-aggressively discerning taste? Maybe it was one of you**********

Originally Posted by ahsposo, BarracksSi, etc
insinuations about my bike weight and/or math skillz
See above to explain bike weight and speed. Re: gross underestimation of SUV weight - eh, I prefer rhetoric to fact. 29lbs (real bike weight) has no significant relationship to 4367lbs (probable LR weight), so I made it up.

Anyway, the report is filed, so I've done what I can for the community at large. If I'm feeling vindictive, I might look the idiot up. Of course, that means pouring a lot more energy into someone else's stupidity, and as a full time high school teacher, such energy is already at a premium. Logic dictates that I shouldn't be too concerned, especially if I shift my rides to the mid AM on a Saturday or Sunday. Emotionally, I'm trying to not let this evolve into a existential dive into the morass of the human condition, so I think I'll just hit the pavement a few times, maybe with some new friends, and get on with it.