Old 10-03-11, 10:11 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cey
The same could be said for anyone, whether you're on the road as a driver, motorcyclist, cyclist, pedestrian. If a pedestrian got hit by an inattentive driver would you say "you knew the risks when you walked out the front door"? Are all road users dumbasses for going on the road and not expecting to get smacked/injured/killed by drivers who fail to perform basic visual checks?

I understand accidents happen, often, but accidents due to negligence are preventable and inexcusable. While you're totally fine laughing it off and moving on with your day, there's nothing wrong with saying "Hey, look where you're going, you could have seriously hurt me!". If drivers think that near misses with vulnerable road users is okay, they won't learn to pay more attention until they actually do kill someone, at which point it's too late. Your incident was at a low speed 3-way stop sign, so your "meh" attitude may be fitting (since you were likely in little to no danger). However, I'd be curious to see what your feeling would be after a more dangerous encounter, after you realize you could have easily lost life or limb, and the driver gives you a "friendly wave and nervous smile SOORRRRY".

If all cyclists were as laissez-faire about this issue, and noone played the "what if game", there would be no attempts at raising awareness with drivers to pay more attention on the road, and the roads would be even more dangerous. Especially for those who are more vulnerable and who have an equal right/equal expectation of being alive and well from point A to point B. Luckily for everyone, there are people worried about the "wrong stuff".
So, what you're saying is...

"...The source of this justice problem is our social acceptance of inattentive driving...."

we, as a whole, are too accepting of distracted or inattentive driving?