Thread: setting goals
View Single Post
Old 10-06-11, 07:57 AM
mikepwagner

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
My goal for the past few years has been to ride lots and have fun with it. I have to work at it sometimes, but I have achieved it every year and I am on track for this year.
Hear, hear!

Setting goals sounds like too much like a job for me. I have enough goal driven activity in my life - "management by objective".

I recently got back on a bike after decades without riding. I loved riding, and started increasing my distance - probably a little too quickly. Then I started setting goals, at least 40 miles on this ride, 50 miles on that ride. If my goal was 40 miles, and I did 35, then I felt some sense of defeat. So instead of enjoying the fact that I was outside on a bike, exercising and breathing fresh air, I would feel a little dejected because I did't achieve my "goal".

That's crazy talk.

Getting on the bike was becoming a chore. It also lead to less saddle time. If I had a riding goal for the day, and something came up so that I didn't have the time to achieve that goal, then I wouldn't ride at all. So if I planned a 3 hour ride, and some work or family issue meant that I only had 45 minutes, I wouldn't ride at all.

That's crazy behavior.

My new goal: avoid setting goals - focus on the joy getting back on a bike, and riding the bike for as many errands as possible.