Old 10-06-11, 08:10 AM
VeloBrox

Bikes: 1951 Armand Carlsen, 1969 DBS Deluxe, 1949 Diamant, 1978 DBS Winner Tandem, 1955 Herkules... to infinity and beyond!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Touring on a vintage tandem Copenhagen-Berlin!

Hi gang!

This summer my girlfriend and I took our 1978 Norwegian DBS tandem for a little spin - from Copenhagen to Berlin no less! 650 kilometers!

Unfortunately our camera succumbed to humidity (sweaty fingers?) the first day on the road. These pictures were taken fresh off the boat from Oslo to Copenhagen. Look at how happy we were!

I assembled the bike myself using all original components - down to the Atom large drum hub, better known for it's use in french mopeds.

We took the official Danish-German bicycle route through the eastern coast of Denmark (less wind), took the ferry to Rostock and breezed through the principalities of Northern Germany. Took us ten days at a leisurely pace. Hardly encountered any car road, only canals, woods and countryside. Highly recommended!

The crank snapped in half around Waren in Müritz, but a local welder fixed it in a jiffy. Other highlights: Sleeping in a beer keg, overtaking three kitted out carbon racers and getting invited by a German farmer to hold his newborn piglets!

The trailer is the classic Bob Yak. With this kind of wheelbase we hardly noticed it, except for when we had to haul everything down five stairs to the Berlin Central train station .

My girl performed admirably - five years as a martial arts instructor has paid off in leg muscle! When she revved up the pedals just disappeared from under me.

Hope my little story cheered you up.

All the best,
Johan of Norway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TandemKøbenB.jpg (98.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg
TandemKøben.jpg (97.0 KB, 85 views)