genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Gene, you're just wrong here. Unless some of U.S. 101 south of Reedsport was re-signed in the last year, none of the portion of this highway outside of any city limits is marked as a bike lane from Reedsport to the CA border. (I ride this stretch a couple of times a year normally, but haven't been there this year.) It is marked as a bike route, but that is a different animal. Here's the key difference: O.R.S. 811.065. If U.S. 101 had a bike lane, then a motorist could legally pass by simply missing a cyclist. Since there is no designated bike lane, the motorist must give the cyclist room to fall in his direction when passing and striking the cyclist is an automatic violation. (It's a whopping $390 or so fine.) Also, very little of the southern half of U.S. 101 in OR has anything like an 8 foot shoulder, particularly in Coos and Curry Counties. In fact, just south of Gold Beach there is a bit of a climb where there are two south-bound lanes and nearly no shoulder at all. The responding officer should have written up the driver for both 811.065 as well as failure to maintain his lane. I also feel that criminal charges should follow, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Since you are actually in OR and I only visit every couple of years, I have to concede to your local knowledge. The next time I am up that way however I will check again.