Old 10-07-11, 10:06 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
I'm still new here, but I just started using my bike for all of my local commuting with great success. I say "local" because I still haven't taken it to work yet. It's 22 miles to my office, and although I have a bike-friendly office, the 22 miles just seems too far. I figure it will take me almost 2 hours if I bike to/from work, each way, right?

How do those of you who have a family and a LONG commute do it? Leaving at 6:00 a.m. to get to the office by 8:00 doesn't seem realistic. Plus, I wouldn't get home until ~8:00 at night! Are the long distance commuters all family-free?
It sort of depends upon what your goals and motivations are, and what your family situation is like. My current temp job is about 40 miles from home so I'm not cycling it. If I manage to get hired on direct here then I'll be looking at driving to a Park-n-Ride lot and cycling the last 15-20 miles in to work a few times a week.

I'll offer a suggestion that I've seen before, take some Saturday or Sunday that you don't have any big plans for and use that day to test out the bike route to work. You will test the route, check the time, see how you feel when you get there, and probably be home by noon. If that works then maybe start by riding in to work just one day a week like a Friday or a Monday. And if you can find an option where the family has plans after work towards where your work is then maybe cycle in to work that day and have the family pick you up at work with your bike.

Lots of options and ways to work cycling into your weekly routine, you just have to find something that works for you.