View Single Post
Old 10-07-11, 03:39 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
right on
I have plenty of issues in many asanas due to injury or just plain inflexibility or morphological issues.
Whenever I do a 'class' with an instructor who is new to me, I give them a quick rundown of my major injury/issues. I truly don;t expect them to remember all that, fully expecting that I'll remind them during the practice, and they'll remember our very brief conversation. Surprisingly, they remember more than I expect. They then help me adjust accordingly.
I'm lucky - we have some great instructors around here who put a lot of thought into their classes.
I've found that if I can bring some focus to my breath, most all my poses benefit greatly as I can decide what to relax and what to strengthen.
Good Instructors come from great teaching instructors, and aware students come from good instructors.
BTW, I'm not an instructor, by a long shot - just slowly becoming a better student.
In my second lesson I've started noticing just this point.

Yes, "lock the knee," and "pull up those kneecaps!"