Thread: BCA Bike?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-11, 02:33 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I recently converted a Schwinn Sprint 12-speed to single speed just by removing the freewheel and spinning on a BMX freewheel and running the chain on the small front chainring and the chainline was near perfect, that one would be a cake walk to convert back to gears. I figured I'd take the same tact with the BCA and see how it all lined up since selling the frameset locally is not happening (not even at $20). I found a singlespeed crankset in the garage when I was purging and re-arranging things which is what I'll be starting with.

Re-dishing the wheel is nice if you want to play with the axle spacers and such to center the hub better, but I figured that if the spoke alignment worked with a 6-speed freewheel then it should work the same (strengthwise) with a single cog freewheel from a BMX bike, so basically I don't plan to re-dish thereby making the conversion reversal simpler down the road.

But the reality is, due to work searching and other stuff happening, the frameset will probably hang in limbo on the garage wall until next spring or summer or whenever. The plan is there for the frameset, and parts are being accumulated, but the project isn't in any particular queue yet to get any more work done on it. I might have the BB threads chased, but beyond that no plans for it beyond thoughts and daydreams.