View Single Post
Old 10-15-11, 12:43 AM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just did the 508 as half of a two person fixed team and I think we both had pretty similar climbing styles-- basically try to stay on top of the gear.

We practiced a bunch on local mountains, me in a 68 and my partner in a 74 (I weigh about 180, she's about 120, and she's generally a masher anyway, and wanted the bigger gear for descending). We live on a road where it's uphill 8-10% for a block to go anywhere, and uphill to get back (figure that one out...). On my street I'll start out straight up, and then switch to traversing when I get to the steep end. I don't even keep the traverses tight-- I make them long and maybe 30-45 degrees off straight.

I don't think there's anything on GMR or on the 508 where I had to traverse, and only a small part of Townes pass where she traversed. On some of the steeper climbs I'd either stay out of the saddle the whole time, or switch back and forth from standing to sitting. It was pretty much get on top of it out of the saddle, sit and pedal, and when it started to drag stand up again. The shallower climbs I'd just stay seated the whole time. If you get too far behind the gear, you pretty much have to traverse or stand up to get back on top of it or you'll eventually stall you out.