Old 10-19-11, 12:06 AM
Indigo Mule
Persist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your "Sophie's Choice" question, bicycle wise?

You know that game where you ask someone a question where they have to choose between two things, and it's impossible for them to answer (either because both things are equally as valued/desirable to them, or both things are equally as repulsive/unwanted)? The value of the game is that you get to weigh the pros and cons of a decision you will probably never have to face, which lets you examine your assumptions and prejudices without the dire consequences of actually having to make the choice. You also get to feel relieved that you don't actually have to make the choice.

I've found my Sophie's Choice question, regarding bicycles. If I had to choose just one bike to ride for the rest of my life (I know--that's an awful enough thought as it is), would I select a carbon fiber bike or a TIG-welded steel bike?

I'm very much a "steel is real" woman, and tease the LBS owner by calling the carbon fiber bikes "plastic toys" (to which he replies, "Plastic is fantastic"). But I can't abide TIG welding. At its best, TIG welding looks to me like a tacky pukha shell necklace, and at its worse it looks like keloid scarring (which makes me feel sorry for the bike, but doesn't make me want to ride it).

Depending on my mood, my answer goes either way, which is how you know you've found a Sophie's Choice question. (Further refinement of the question led to--no, you can't cover or camouflage the TIG welding, and yes the carbon would be replaced when it broke.)

So, I'm curious--What would your Sophie's Choice question be (bike wise)?