View Single Post
Old 10-20-11, 06:31 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wernst
I always fold it on the Green Line because it is so crowded at rush hour. Bike storage area are as far from the doors as possible, so if you need to get on or off when the trains are crowded, a full size bike just pisses people off, whereas the folding bike (when folded) makes people smile, say how cool the bike is, and folks actually make space for me to carry it through!
So I leave it unfolded heading onto the platform, then fold it in 15 seconds as the train arrives, and then on I go with it folded.
Warr
Warr,
I totally agree with your comments about the Green Line, but I do things a bit differently. I always fold my bike as soon as I get on the platform . . . just so I have it done and don't have to deal with it as the train arrives.

When I get on the train, I just step to the "opposite" doorway, i.e. the one that never opens (at least in my experience). I just stand there the whole time, leaving the seats for people who need/want them. Agree too that passengers think the folder is interesting, some even watch me as I fold or unfold it. Not much other entertainment on the Green Line!

And yes, the full-sized bikes are awkward at the very least, difficult for entering or exiting passengers to step around. So I think they appreciate the smaller size of the folded bike. I'm really enjoying commuting by bike and Metro; don't miss the "stuck in traffic" times at all. And my bike/Metro commute takes approx. 15 min. longer than the car commute, so no worries there either!

Rick / OCRR