bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hit new max HR - didn't feel so good

Since starting about a year ago, I've never hit higher than 187 HR and lately I seem to hit it less often over the same courses. 15 mins into my ride today, on one of the steepest climbs I have nearby (it has a 1/4 mile section in the 12-15% range), I looked down and saw I was at 190. Was feeling kind of crappy too. I don't know my theoretical max but through some very non-scientific methods I came up with 192 (I'm 44). I've never felt bad at 187. Can those extra 3 beats make a difference? I was feeling a bit off today anyway and it's been 3 days since my last ride so that might explain it too.

Is being able to hit a high HR a good thing? Or as I've gotten into better shape should I expect my max to get lower? I am able to ride at near my max HR longer than before (mid 180s for a couple minutes). Since I felt kind of crappy around that 190 mark, I guess I'm just wondering if I was somehow pushing harder than before and getting closer to vomit zone, or if I'm loosing conditioning since I'm not riding as much as during the summer.

How often have you broken your max HR record?