Thread: Lighter Wheels
View Single Post
Old 10-23-11, 12:55 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Lighter wheels do not only work on hills. Acceleration will be improved a lot aswell.

I am a great fan of lighter better quality wheels. The original wheels fitted to the bike would have been made to a price point. Besides the weight- the material and build quality would have been lower. 5 years ago I went Road but after 6 months I was beginning to think I had made a mistake. The MTB handled better and was faster and less tiring over a 30 mile ride on the road. Then one ride and I did a hill and frewheeling from the top I got 30mph and just made the curve halfway down. Problem was- the MTB did 37mph and the curve was a bit more lean on the bike. Talked to the LBS and a set of handbuilt wheels and I went back to the hill again. Speed back up and the curve was no longer there. Average speed went up by 2 mph on a 30 mile ride and the bike was less tiring.

I lost 1 lb on changing to the handbuilts and a further bit by changing to Michelin PR2 tyres and lightweight tubes. They also improved the ride aswell.

But just a warning on getting those New Lightweight Expensive wheels. Most of the aftermarket wheels are going to be stiff. When i got the TCR-C- I had Mavic Aksiums fitted to it. That bike was uncontrollable on fast downhills and hitting a Bump in the road had me bouncing across the road. Tried allsorts and cured the problem by fitting the Handbuilt wheels to it. Stiff frame- stiff wheels and my weanie weight of 150lbs and I could not hold the bike on the road. Changing to a more compliant wheel cured it.

Spike Milligan