View Single Post
Old 10-23-11, 03:35 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Cycling computer for commuters

I just sent a message to Cateye in response to their Commuter-model. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Just a little background: I live in The Netherlands and commute 5 days a week for 5km to college and to my work. As an allweather rider I might have some different needs than most, but still. Currently I am using a Cateye Enduro, Sigma before that.

What would you suggest to a company that makes cycling computers?

Below is the e-mail I sent.
I was browsing last week for possible replacements for my Enduro I use for commuting. I really liked the idea of the Commuter model, but there are just a few of unnecessary features that I think you could get rid of and make it a more reasonable option for commuters:

First of all, the temperature indicator is something I would love. A lot of commuters ride all year round, and a temperature indicator could help choosing the right clothing. Second, the ETA is nice, but kind of useless if you also use the bike for general shopping. It's too limited. Just the always on clock is more important if I want to know if I'm on time than that.
Carbon offset? Who cares... Most people commute by bike because they find it easier, not because they want to save the environment. Also, because the offset is fixed it is just a general indicator and a meaningless one at that.
Backlight; nice, but not always necessary. Maybe for those on dark roads.
Also, dependability is of paramount importance on a commuter bike. Why wireless? It just makes the unit expensive and more energy-demanding, thus more likely to fail.
Also, the current model is bloody expensive. I'm willing to pay €50 for a high-end model, but not if it is riddled with unnecessary features for €75.

My current enduro has a fingerprint on the inside of the glass. It's invisible, until the temperature drops below freezing. Then it freezes and makes it a bit harder to read the display. Not a big problem, just annoying.

I really like your products and especially the look, but maybe you should hold a questionaire among your users (both U.S. and international) to ask what commuters specifically want.