Thread: Steven's Pass
View Single Post
Old 10-27-11, 04:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I did this ride two weeks ago, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But I took US 2 and not the Old Highway. While it was nice and scenic (but probably not much more so than the back roads around Snoqualmie Pass), the traffic was unnerving. The speed limit is 60, so people are going 70. Boxy U-Haul trucks throw off something like a boat's wake, and when you're doing 35, it's uncomfortable enough that I don't plan on riding here again.

Also, I did this ride recently because I was strapped for time, and assumed it'd be a shorter drive than Rainier, which was a mistake.

I'm replying to this thread because the PNW forum is slow enough that this is still on the front page. If anyone else pops in here looking for an end-of-the-season road ride in the high country, I should follow up with my experience after asking the question.

Here are some mediocre cell phone camera pics, starting with Deception Falls.

This is where the "pedestrians and hitchhikers prohibited" signs begin, and, consequently, where I started to wonder if I was really supposed to be riding here. I was pretty sure somebody would have mentioned it if not, and it turns out that bikes are welcome on this road.

I made it! 2,900 feet in 11.5 miles, for an average grade of about 4.8 %.