khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
While by no means complete and it's slightly outdated, I consider Craig Calfee's technical whitepaper to present a good read for the layman looking to understand carbon fibre bicycle frames. Some of the things I consider high quality about my particular CF bike include:
  • High quality CF prepregs from reputable aerospace grade CF suppliers
  • Manufacturing process that ensures high levels of consistant compaction
  • Molded in fittings (water bottle cage mount inserts, cablestops/downtube shifter mounts, brake bolt inserts, etc) instead of rivetted or drilled so that the CF structure is formed around them
  • Proper attention to isolation of dissimilar materials to prevent galvanic corrosion and if bonding is used to secure the inserts, they should be capable of handling dissimilar expansion rates
  • Seamless non-clamshell layup and curing process so there's no weakness in the structure due to seams
  • Attention to layers through creative and smart use of different bias and weave direction per layer to tune the mechanical properties of each section of the structure
  • Reinforced layering at critical high-stress sections
  • Use of a protective cosmetic final layer and finish
  • Metal reinforced inserts as needed (headtube, BB, seattube)