Old 10-28-11, 05:26 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
"old paint with lots of scratches is cool. new paint with one scratch sucks." your call
Do I ever like that!!! I do hope you don't mind if I start using it.

I recall, years ago, I had just finished the paint job on a 1970 Triumph Bonneville (I used to restore motorcycles and even wrote a book about it, believe it or not). I had just set the newly painted (and dried) gas tank on the frame set, complete with tank badges mounted. I turned my back to do something or other and, to my horror, heard my son, about four years old at the time, banging the business end of a screwdriver on the tank. It got scratched, I kept my temper (after all, I have only one son) and told him it was OK.

And, it was. I never again worried about scratching the motorcycle. These days, again believe it or not, I put the first scratch into a paint job, just so that I won't feel bad when the first accidental one shows up. Go figure, but it works for me.

There is no sense having something so nice that one is afraid to use it, as was the case with my best friend and his eighties something NOS Bianchi Trofeo.