View Single Post
Old 10-28-11, 09:09 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
Agree with your 2 points about non-use but I think it's always better to explain things to kids. They can understand if it's a simple explanation.

I think a parent wearing a helmet will display to the child that cycling is dangerous, and that example will stick with them their whole life.
Your first point about explaining is true. However, kids have a keen awareness of double standards and hypocrisy. When parents say something and don't follow their own rules, children will sense the insincerity of their actions and it devalues their words.

As for the helmet example being a message that cycling is dangerous, I'm not so sure, but I will leave it at that.

Originally Posted by Hippiebrian
Actually, that's 6 HELMETED cyclists with concussions. Seems helmets don't prevent concussion...
Did he say that his six concussions were even from cycling? I got the impression that he was talking reference to his lifetime. I've had six concussions, but they were all from other activities.

Last edited by rat fink; 10-28-11 at 09:15 AM.