Thread: Diet question
View Single Post
Old 06-10-01, 09:51 PM
nebill

Bikes: '76 Schwinn Paramout (Liberty) and an '89 Paramount (ol' Blue)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diet question

Okay, I am looking for some advice here. Since January, I have been on a low carb diet. No white potatoes, white bread, corn (miss my popcorn!) or other high carb foods. Now, I am starting to ride my bike more and more (did my first 70 mile ride today!) and I have read that you need to carbs to keep your muscles working. My caloric intake varies, sometimes as low at 1000 calories a day. So far, I have lost 52 pounds, and I want to loose another 10 or so. During todays ride, I consumed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and then after the ride, I had a grilled cheese sandwich to maybe load some carbs so my muscles would recover quicker. Up till now, I have assumed that sticking to the diet and riding the bike helps get me into a 'fat burning' mode, as hopefully my body is using up some of that reserve that I have built up. Any comments??
When I do reach a weight that I am comfortable with, I will start to work in a reasonable amount of higher carb foods so I can maintain my weight, and still get more usful foods for my biking needs. Sound like a good plan??
Any guidance will be appreciated!