Old 10-28-11, 03:46 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I have yet to have had a frame powder coated. I guess I will do it someday. If the paint is relatively decent, I consider it patina, clean it up, polish it, and maybe do some minor touchup. If the paint is really bad, I use it as a donor bike. I have enough decent framesets laying around looking for parts.

I really like the look of the original decals, the definition of the lugwork (PC jobs I have seen lose some of the depth/definition around lugs), and I can't justify the financial cost (with little or no improvement in the value of the bike).

I've got to admit I have a handful (more than a handful) of frames that could use a repaint right now. One in particular was rattlecanned by the PO, and all of the original paint and decal work is long gone (and the rattlecan job is terrible).

As far as color combinations, I have gotten to where I appreciate the variety and odd colors used on some bikes. I look at the color combination to be a historical snapshot, of what was popular at that time.

And polishing compound can do wonders with tired paint.

Last edited by wrk101; 10-28-11 at 03:49 PM.