Old 10-28-11, 07:57 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
If the paint is reasonable, do not paint the bicycle. Doing so will cost you money and lower the value of the bicycle. More detail contained in Should I Paint My Bike?

Hope that is a help.
I've always wondered about lowering the value, this past summer I attended a old car show, lots of cars from the 1950's and 1960's, maybe 50 cars altogether, I think it's a safe bet, that maybe one of those cars has the original paint. I think the whole idea of keeping the old paint, is popular in North America, because bicycles are considered toys, so if it's old it must look like a museum piece. Unless I had a rare or special bicycle, I would have no qualms about repainting it, providing I could get replacement decals. Those decals may in fact be from photographs taken before the repaint, that have been custom printed by a sign shop. Stripping the paint allows one to do a proper assessment of the metal underneath and to take care of any corrosion that may be on the frame. I would however use a colour that would be period correct for that manufacturer and time period.

I doubt I would use powder-coat, it's the devil to get off again and it wouldn't look right on a lot of frames that were built before powder coating began, a couple of layers of primer, then a couple of layers of base coat and several layers of clear coat, with the decals going on a layer or two from the top, is suitable though. That might be an option for a patina frame, a good cleaning and then a couple of layers of clear coat to preserve what's there....