Old 10-29-11, 03:48 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My comment is...if you want to keep cycling then you need to examine your pedal stroke, arch support and cleat location.
Torque by definition is force X distance. The foot is a lever. The longer the foot, the more torque is placed on the achilles. To shorten the foot and reduce torque on the achilles, move your cleats rearward. I ride with my cleats back about 13mm from under the ball of foot with Speedplay pedals. I wear an 11 shoe so this reduces the pressure on my achilles. You also need to immobilize the foot in the shoe. This is done with a proper orthotic. Also, a good idea to evaluation your cycling....maybe cut down on the miles and perhaps most importantly, increase your cadence and don't push as big a gear. That would be my suggestion short of what you already know. Rest is the bane of all of us who want to ride thru our injuries but that can be difficult. If you want to keep riding, consider what I wrote. Ankling during the pedal stroke is also an issue if you are prone to pedal that way.