Old 10-30-11, 05:42 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Dumped the statin (Crestor(R)) and man, what a difference!

Decided last March to visit a cardiologist and establish a cardiac baseline. After all, I was now 63 and involved in a pretty intensive sport. A cycling buddy recommended a cardioligist who was also a cyclist.

The dr did some pretty extensive tests and most were great. The biggest problem is a thickening of the left carotid artery, and a stubborn LDL level just above 100 despite lots of exercise and a decent diet. I had been on Zedia proscribed by my GP, and that had my chol hovering about 200. Unfortunately Zedia does ok at controlling chol in many cases, but not the proven success of statins in preventing heart disease.

So after much balking, I agreed to go on Crestor. After about 4 weeks my LDL was down nicely, about 80, and chol was 166. Another 3 weeks showed even more progress. But at a price.

I found that, while I did not have any leg or muscle pain most of the time, when I was riding and needed to call on the legs for a sprint or climb, they felt like I had ridden 100 mi. Even after a week off the bike due to rain, first ride, same thing. I also noted that I was loosing core strength and my hands were numb after 15 - 20 mi since I was leaning on them.

I tried cutting the pill (and dose) in half to 12.5 mg for about 3 weeks. No help.

So now I stopped about 10 days ago. Amazing. The legs feel fresh, and no more numb hands.

Now I gotta inform the cardiologist and my GP. On today's ride I was talking to a Dr buddy who had the same experience. He's been off for about a year.