View Single Post
Old 07-08-05, 11:48 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's pricey, but I love it, and I'm not even a racer type.

Given I should have went for regular alloy deraileurs and not went to carbon, and went for oddsandendos wheels instead of my sciroccos to lower the theft factor (right now it's a rolling crowd maker...at the least I got notice from some rather cute women on bikes...sadly i had to get to work before the boss gets out the firing whip....).

The Sciroccos are pretty nice wheels too, my only gripe is the spokes are NOT stainless steel, therefore require somewhat frequent maintenance. I need to buy some gun oil I guess, that stuff is great for corrosion prevention. Other than that, after a week of me pretty much wailing on them, everything short of going airborne, those wheels have taken all 220lbs of me just fine...they track well, and they also seem to transfer less vibration compared to my old 32-spoke MA-3/105 wheelset. A heck of a lot lighter and more aero too.

My only real gripe about the group is price...basically everything is very expensive...that's why I kept my 105 calipers....dropping over $150 on a pair of brake calipers seems a bit steep considering my 105 calipers were what, $75? Also note that those kool-stop pads were NOT a good idea, as they chatter like mad on the scirocco wheelset. Only reason I am still using them is I NEED the wet weather braking that those pads offer.