Old 11-06-11, 05:54 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by mikepwagner
When I rode motorcycles, they were all chain driven, including the primary. Belt drives were "a solution in search of a problem" when they first started to show up - I gather that they are now are ubiquitous. I don't know for sure, I haven't ridden a motorcycle in a very long time.

My next bike will very likely had a belt drive and a internally geared hub.

Do I think that a belt drive bike with an internally geared hub is a good choice for everyone? No.

Do I think that a belt drive bike with an internally geared hub is a good choice for a lot of people (including me)? Yes.

If you can live with 11 or 14 gears, keeping gears in a sealed oil bath makes a lot of sense to me than sticking them in the weather.

Once you have decided to go with an IGH bike, I don't see much reason to go with a chain as opposed to a belt. Most reviewers who have ridden belt bikes claim that they are quieter and cleaner. I expect that's true. It also appears that the Gates Center Track belts seems to have solved a number of problems with the previous generation.

All in all, "Bye Bye Bicycle Chain" seems like a silly headline to me.

But I am very glad to have the choice, and right now I am happy and prepared to pay a premium for that choice.

Over time, I expect belts to become more and more common on bikes. I think that the limiting factor is probably the development of better and better internally geared hubs, and that seems to be going on at a rapid pace.

If finances go according to plan, there will be one of these in my future:

http://beltbik.es/civia-cycles/2012/bryant-belt-alfine
The Civia is a very nice bike, with very favorable reviews, and if I were ever to look at an OEM bike, I would certainly consider it, belt and all.
I have a whole fleet of IGH bikes, from 2 to 14 speeds, and I love them all, but I built every one of them from the ground up from new or previously loved frames, and belts are just not an option in that case.
My point is, there ain't as much wrong with chains as Gates wants you to believe, and they ain't going away.