View Single Post
Old 11-07-11, 07:31 AM
s70rguy
presto, pronto, prego!

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenc
I don't agree Martens built the cheaper frames.
U. Scanini had it's own factory in Beauvechain, I understand that's where the majority of the frames came from. If they needed something high-end (because they were sponsoring a rider) they turned to Italy or Martens.
Just like Diamant, who still has the factory in Bekkevoort, turned to Martens for "specials".
'Cheaper' as opposed to the obviously expensively made Italian Scanini frames. But for all I know Scanini could have had the less expensive frames anywhere in Belgium. Mr. Martens told me he build for Scanini. The owner of Scanini told me they used to press the profiling in plain tubes with their own machine .. i have had one those frames, hold it next to my Italian build Scanini with Oria tubing, and the difference was plain to see and feel.

About a year ago Martens offered (on kapaza I think) some very nice NOS Martelly frames, in a variety of exotic tubing. Ver well built, very nice paintjobs, but expensive. One in Columbus Neuron, one in Max. From the look of it, very classy workmanship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Martelly 1.jpg (86.6 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg
Martelly 2.jpg (98.5 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by s70rguy; 11-07-11 at 07:39 AM.
Likes For s70rguy: