Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bekologist
Ride reasonably and with a duty of care to other road users. Do not ride recklessly and with callous calculated disregard for others. This case, as embarrassing as it is for the indignant rider crew, is pretty instructive. It's vc versus the world.

Personally, I take the lane a lot and do not hesitate to claim the lane when needed for safety.

There's a reasonable way to ride, and there's a way to ride with reckless disregard for others - the difference should be crystalline to all of us accustomed to road cycling in a wise variety of conditions.

Regardless of where or on what road - there is a certain 'sweet spot' of fair, legally defensible and considerate road use in Texas or any other state, when riders operate in a safe, legal, reasonable road position; and there is the reckless rider way.
ChipSeal was riding on a 65mph road. That is definitely something I will never do. I will go on a 40mph, but not a road with a higher speed limit than that. I 'take the lane' all the time, because I don't trust motorists', even in the town I live in where the speed limit is 15mph. I know I sort of take the 'me vs. them' stance. But when you have been hit by ignorant drivers' on multiple occasions, you start to develop a thick skin and harder edge to your cycling.