LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12770 Post(s)
Liked 7,687 Times in 4,081 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Pipe cutters work for cutting pipes, not particularly ok for bike fork steerer tubes. Depending on how the pipe cutter is used, it may leave a slightly flared end on the steerer tube which may make it difficult or impossible to slide a lockring/spacer/stem over it. This is because the "cutting" wheel of the pipe cutter doesn't cut, but displaces the metal via pressure.
That's the main reason I go for the hacksaw. I've never used a pipecutter for a steerer, but I've used 'em on other pipes and yeah, they make the pipe curl inward at the cut so you need to clean that up with a rattail file. I always clean up with a flat file and a rattail after hacksawing also but it seems like there would be less cleanup necessary in comparison to that of the pipecutter. I've heard some say if you have a good pipecutter and know how to use it then you don't get much curl, but eh, hacksaw works for me.

I'm sure proper pressure application might help alleviate that and it may be better on cromo or maybe better on aluminum, I don't know.

Additionally, I'd have to imagine pipecutter is a no-go on carbon steerers.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 11-10-11 at 01:37 AM.