Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Brynley
Hi there,

So I did something dumb earlier today. I've been trying to fix up an old 1970's Raleigh Sprite I recently bought. The rear wheel wasn't spinning very well so I figured why not spray a bunch of WD-40 into the oil port in order to loosen up whatever gunk was in there. This of course didn't solve the issue and now while the wheel spins slightly better it makes loud metallic noises which I assume are the bearings rattling after the grease was flushed out.

Is there any way for me to fix this without taking apart the hub? I don't think I have the right tools for the job. Would I only need to buy an appropriate sized freewhell remover? If so, what size would I need to get?

Thanks for the help.
Geez... you'd think people could answer your question without heading off on tangents. (Oh, wait... this is the Internet.)

The answer is: NO. You can't address this properly without disassembling the hub. As above, you need the correct freewheel remover and the appropriately sized cone wrenches to do the adjustment. Also, a bench vise makes removing the freewheel a little easier. After all, the freewheel's probably been there for nearly 40 years. It won't come off without a fight.

It's not rocket surgery, but it helps to have experienced help. Do you have a bike co-op near you that might help you gain experience?

And what kind of cheese do you like?

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..