View Single Post
Old 11-12-11, 03:26 PM
BiketoFeel

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown, 1997 Roadmaster Little 500 track bike, 2004 Burley Rumba, 1997 Trek 730 MultiTrack, 90s Schwinn Moab MTB, 2019 DK Helio BMX, 80s Velo Sport Super Routier 12 Fixed Gear, 2000s Cannondale Touring bike, Late Model Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on wool

Originally Posted by Schwinnrider
Wool is your friend. A wool jersey over a wicking shirt can eliminate a couple of layers of synthetics. However, you can find merino wool sweaters at various clothing discounters(Ross, TJ Maxx, etc) for a whole lot less than a cycling specific jersey. Fleece jacket over that, or even a nice cycling jacket. Performance Bicycle's house brand of clothing is fairly affordable and of good quality.

Cycling tights are better, I think, than Under Armour. Winter tights are thicker, and there are even ones that have windproof panels on the front. I hate to say it again, but Performance(or Nashbar/Price Point) probably have something on sale that will work for you.

Even though I live in Florida, temps can get down into the teens. Wool socks , sometimes a neoprene sock over that, and my regular cycling shoes gets me through temps down to the 30s. Colder than that and I'll put on the shoe covers. Toe covers are easier to deal with here, as it's rarely as cold on the ride home, and they're less to pack.

Fotooutdoors is right. A heavy coat may be overkill. Wicking shirt, wool jersey, and windbreaker works down to freezing. A fleece jacket with the windbreaker over should be good for down to zero.

You will figure out what works for you. You may find you want to put platform pedals on and ride in Timberlands.
I eliminated all synthetics from my upper wear. Use merino wool base layers and a sheep's wool outer. I don't use any wind barriers and have ridden down to 8 degrees. Plus, you don't have to clean wool too frequently -- dry clean once a year for the merino wool base layers -- no they don't get stinky unlike synthetics which reek after one ride. I don't like wind proof barriers as they don't allow moisture to escape and you just end up soaked.

I bought most of the wool I use at consignment shops or Goodwill. For winter riding, I'll probably never use anything else.