Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
"Cold" weather strategy

This is my first season back to riding in cold weather since I was a kid. I have done some reading of topics here related to cold weather, clothing for it, etc. but apparently didn't fully understand, or something. I went and bought some knee warmers, long sleeve jersies, compression tops, some UA bottoms, and a sleeveless, vented vest to wear. I also have some long gloves and some tights I will have to modify to be able to wear for opening on Christmas.

I have gone riding a few days in low 50's high 40's weather, and I froze my ass off. I am producing copious amounts of snot, and just miserable on the bike the entire ride. All I can think of is being done. My mileage has gone way down, and I am losing fit day by day. I just have gotten over a bad cold from what I suspect was poor protection from the elements. I read in the winter cycling forum, and here about people still riding bikes in ice and snow and here I am having a hard time in what some of you would consider spring warmup.

I guess it would be easier for me to tell you what I "think" I know about it, what I am doing, and hope that y'all can give helpful insight and suggestions on what to do by way of correction.

We will assume it is going to be 50* out. I put on a set of underarmor undies with my shorts over...I know you aren't supposed to wear anything under the shorts, but obviously have to do something to protect my junk. I put on a T shirt, compression top, jersey, and vest. I wear my knee warmers and long wool sock. It is not comfortable wearing the clothing under the shorts, or the compression top, but in an attempt to stay warm I have to try something. I have noted that all the lycra wear I have allows the wind to come through just as if I was wearing nothing at all. I freeze my butt off going downhill, fast, or in the shade. In spite of zippers, etc. I still start heating up too much going up hills, slow, etc.
I have gotten a set of "radiator tights" to use after Christmas, w/o the chamois, and assume they will go over my shorts and allow me to eliminate the UA underwear that are so uncomfortable.

I have read that the idea in cold weather is just to make the miles at a routine pace just to keep your base and therefore not to suffer as much in the spring. Not to work up a sweat..which I already know why from having done so. I try to zip up going down hills, unzip going up, etc. but cannot find a happy medium...I am either freezing, or too hot, from one extreme to the other, constantly.

What I suppose I am getting at, is could you offer some suggestions to help me out, perhaps share with me how you are layering up and what conditions under which you change the layering or unzip to help deal with the conditions on any given ride?
I know it isn't going to be like jumping in the car, cranking up the heat and being all comfy cozy riding along. I also know that I can't wrap all up like riding a motorcycle simply because the physical exertion is going to cause me to sweat and then cool too much. Simply put, I need to find some happy medium here so that I can continue on in the winter and be prepared to meet my goals next spring. Sorry for all the "noob" questions and if there is a post already detailing and answering these issues a link would be great.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 11-13-11 at 11:12 AM.