Old 11-14-11, 01:25 PM
alf41

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from Costa Rica (at the moment)

Hey guys, I'm alf.

I started frequenting these forums and decided I wanted to say hi.

I live in Costa Rica, and I am making arrangements to travel across Europe and Asia in February 2012.

Inspired by stories and blogs I have found along my investigation about places to visit and means to get to them, I have come across literally hundreds of places that seem worth of visiting, and a handful of options for transportation.

My budget is tight (maybe sufficient for 6 months of travel the traditional way: trains, buses, planes, hotels and hostels). But the thing is, I don't want to travel 6 months and come back to the rat race.

I am packing clothes for about a week, a couple jackets, a fishing line and hooks, a medical and tool kit,a laptop,a gps and a camera. Pretty much it. I intend to blog my way across the world, pick jobs as a web designer (I am a Software Engineer and Project Manager in the IT area) informally as I go, wwoofing, couchsurfing, workaway, warmshowers, and pretty much grabbing any opportunities along the way.

I have done my homework regarding visas, requirements, etc. So probably I won't make so many dumb questions. I have not figured out the details, I just have a couple plane tickets (first NY, then Paris), and planning on getting a train ticket out of Schengen under 90 days after just to ease my entrance to Europe (for 18 Euro from Ljubljana to Zagreb, I won't really mind missing it and exiting towards any other direction 3 months).

I have hundreds of questions, and I will be posting in the respective forums. But if any of you have any pointers on the tip of your tongue, a response in this post would be greatly appreciated.

At this point I may face a few different scenarios:

1. Buying a folding bike in NY. It has the pros and cons of folding bikes. I haven't found a folder that seems to have the right balance between affordability, quality for long term touring and size. I will be on the lookout of NY craiglist and try bike shops and pawn shops once I am there. It would be ideal if I have to hop on a plane, train, bus or getting a car ride any day.

2. Buying a bike, any bike, in Paris. Probably pick up something used, replace the important parts, and carry spare parts. I would rig it for holding my backpack. Something I could trust for long distances, but not something that would break the bank if stolen. I would initially ride all the way to Portugal. I am concerned that I would not be able to fold it and hop anywhere with extra fees and/or hassle.

3. The same as in Paris, but in Portugal, it may be cheaper.

I am not sure how border crossings work in a bike, I have heard that there are borders that can only be crossed in a car, bus, etc.

I am not a bike guy, and my shape is not great, but I won't force myself beyond my stamina. I don't mind if the first weeks progress is pathetic, I know I will gain condition after a few hundred kilometers. I used to ride heavily all my childhood and teenage years, and I even used to deal with traffic and different road conditions, so I have the skills, even if the condition is rather rusty. Some years ago I got into free-style bmx, and that's all the exposure to bikes I have had in the last decade. I doubt I have ridden more than 20 kilometers in a day in the last decade.

If you have read this far. Please tell me, am I nuts for even considering this? Any of you has done it before? Would you be able to point me in the direction of websites and resources I could use?

Thanks,

alf