View Single Post
Old 11-15-11, 06:45 AM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sharp
I'm in central AZ (Prescott) and I'll admit so far this fall I have totally wussed out! I the days are plenty nice but unfortunately that's when I need to be at work. Trying to figure out something where I can get my miles in without riding in the dark or freezing my butt off too much....I must get it together and /or HTFU soon and this is NOT optional, as I am planning to ride the Iron Horse classic next year which ain't gonna be a walk in the park. Can't exactly lay off all winter and expect to be ready for a ride of that magnitude. Watching this thread with interest....already know I need to drop some cash for the following at minimum:
Leg warmers. Shoe covers. Full gloves. Some kind of wind breaker jacket thing.
It's not that expensive for a long-term investment.

You've pretty much got it covered:
- Shoe covers (yes you do need these, don't forget about them)
- Bibs/Tights (insulated really not necessary until you are below 45)
- Jacket (I like the Gore Windstopper, but most windproof will work.)
- Baselayers - longsleeve compression from Target is awesome
- Windproof gloves

Between my Gore Windstopper and the longsleeve compression Target baselayer, I'm good down to 40F. Below that, extra fleece vest and light cap.

The Gore Windstopper jacket isn't the be all endall of jackets (if you go hard you'll invariably sweat like a hog on the way up and get wind chill to some degree on the way down) but it's remarkably good. Even fully soaked, on a 40mph descent, I'm not freezing at all so long as you have the baselayer to block any residual wind that gets through the sleeve holes (yes, it's a big deal.)

Seriously consider riding a good trainer with a speed sensor during winter and dark, though. It's a different, more targeted workout, but outstanding nonetheless. This is one area where triathletes have roadies beat hand down - Computrainers are standard equipment amongst top level triathletes for year-round power-based training, and they get impressive results with it. You don't need a Computrainer per se, but if you get yourself on a power or HR based plan on a trainer (convert speed to power for the KK trainer), you'll be getting GREAT training. I've got enough lights to be very safe riding outdoors in dark, but I vastly prefer my trainer in winter/dark for the specificity and no-nonsense time efficient training.