Cyclist0383
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Foote.mike
Hey All,

Our run times are based on different types of rides you would want to do, from that our outputs worked themselves out. Our High mode was determined to be 90 minutes because that was the shortest amount of time we could justify for a high output bike ride (it also happens to be the length of a lap on our favorite in town mountain bike ride).
Using this run time of 90 minutes, an XML, and the optical efficiency that we get, the Lumens came out to be 450. As simple as that. If we wanted it to honestly make 600 lumens (and not just overstate our outputs...) then the run times would have to go down dramatically. But as the LED efficiencies go up and battery capacities go up, we will be able to produce more lumens for the same amount of time.

As for waterproofness, they have been tested extensively under water. We don't want to certify these lights for diving (if you put waterproof on it, someone will use it as pool lighting. Not our market.) but they are definitely water resistant for rain. Just make sure to close your USB port cover.

About the UltraFire 3100mAh cells... I would be weary of high capacity quotes. We do our own battery capacity quality control in house. When choosing a battery manufacturer we had "2400mAh" batteries that tested out to 600mAh, 1400mAh, and 1800mAh.

BetweenRides, where did you get the 3100mAh battery from? I will order one up, do a discharge measurement and send you the graph. I am curious to see how they test.

-Mike
Here's an interesting read on 'high capacity' UltraFire cells.

What wasn't expected was under the wrapper of Ultrafire 3000mAh, 3600mAh and 4000mAH a shiny new cap has been fitted. When this is removed, it is clear that they are reclaimed laptop batteries. The spot welds of the tabs can be seen on the base and positive terminal. In the example below, they haven't even bothered to remove all of the tab:
http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/batteries_21.html