View Single Post
Old 11-15-11, 04:05 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 867 Posts
Do not expect a Schwinn bike from the early '60's to have exact parts spec in agreement with the catalogs.

I've found certified un-molested bikes from that era which deviate in parts spec between models and model years as shown in the catalogs.
The catalogs were written at a certain time of year, but the details of the bicycle's construction clearly was not perfectly synchronized with the release date of the catalogs. Parts inventory often dictated changes months before or after (usually before) the catalog date as indicated by serial number.
My 1962 Continenatal, dated Aug '62, has features of the subsequent catalog model year, as well as of the SuperContinental model.
They just weren't so fussy about it being to catalog spec in those days, and most catalogs announce that all specifications are subject to change. I've seen 1963 catalogs from Peugeot that had component details rubber-stamped over, but I don't think Schwinn bothered with that. Maybe it was just the distributor who re-stamped those Peugeot catalogs, heck it was almost surely the distributor who translated and printed them in the first place.

Last edited by dddd; 11-15-11 at 04:16 PM.