Old 07-10-05, 10:43 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame Builder killed in accident. Reportedly at fault.

Im not familiar with this guy's work, but Tom Bruni was killed in an accident with a mini-van. This happened close to my in-laws, where I do have occasion to ride. I've never had a problem riding there, very rural, country roads with hills and turns. I don't know that I'm familiar with the intersection, but being familiar with the area I suspect that Bruni rode the route daily and rarely encounters traffic, so he was lax.

Linky :

Baltimore man dies when bike hits van outside Westminster
By A Sun Staff Writer
Originally published July 10, 2005

A Baltimore bicycle builder died yesterday afternoon after his bicycle struck a minivan in Carroll County, state police said.

Just before 3 p.m., Thomas J. Bruni, 54, of the 2000 block of Sylvan Ave. was riding south on Halter Road approaching Stone Road, about four miles north of Westminster. At the same time, a 1998 Pontiac Trans Sport minivan was traveling west on Stone Road, approaching the same intersection.

State police said that the minivan passed through the intersection and was hit by the bike. Bruni had failed to halt at the stop sign, according to authorities.

Bruni was taken to Carroll Hospital Center, where he was later pronounced dead. Five passengers in the minivan were taken to the hospital with minor cuts and abrasions.

Bruni owned Bruni Bicycles, police said, where he designed and built mountain, road and tandem bicycles.

"It hurts so good..."