Old 11-18-11, 04:34 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
You cannot get a new Speedplay + road shoe combo for anywhere near as cheap as Eggbeater + mtn (or road, but I suggest starting with mtn) shoe combo.
Agreed. Cost is another reason I went and stuck with Crank Bros.

Originally Posted by vandarye
So after doing lots of research and watching youtube videos, the eggbeaters and speedplays look nice. On the speedplay pedals, the light action and X5 chromoly are the same price, but the only difference I can tell is the float. The light action is 15* and the X5 is 20*, so I'm not sure how to approach this. The Shimano SPD are 6*. More float seems like it would be more comfortable and easier on the knees, but less seems like it would keep you more locked in place for consistent pedaling. Hmmm.... discuss.
I prefer more float, as I have bad knees and don't want to get too locked-in.

Originally Posted by teterider
You will get lot of opinions and there is no one correct answer.

However, I will offer one bit of advice. In doing your research and reading forums, take into account that all pedal systems are fine for new clipless users. You may read here and there that one type is easier than another, but don't buy into that as a purchase factor. All clipless pedals take a learning curve but are all easy to use.
True, but it's tough to argue that 4-sided entry isn't easier than 2-sided which isn't easier than 1-sided. I think it depends how often you think you'll be clipping in and out - I believe more commuters use 2-bolt systems because of that.