View Single Post
Old 11-19-11, 10:53 AM
wannaride
Toughen the pluck up!

Bikes: 1990 KHS Sled; 2004 Specialized Sirrus Pro; 2005 Cannondale Saeco Replica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gran Fondo Miami Report - So far so bad

In the three months I've been registered I finally got an email Thursday from the organizers acknowledging that I was actually registered. The route has been under constant change and they finally brilliantly set a route that will place the riders in traffic with fans attending the NASCAR race. For reasons unclear they are starting and finishing at different places. They have no means of phone contact just an "info" email address which was worthless.

Today I went to the "expo" to get my number and jersey. Not much of an expo and everyone pretty clueless and disorganized. When I registered I was told to select a jersey size based on European sizing. When I went there today it turns out that they are actually American sizing so my jersey does not fit. I'm seriously considering stenciling SUCKS on the back - as a reflection of my own abilities of course.

While it remains to be seen how tomorrow goes had I known now what I know I would never have signed up for this event. I do a lot of triathlons and the occasional century and I can say for certain that this is the worst event yet that I have experienced. Given all of the positive things I've heard about the California events I am very disappointed. No matter what happens tomorrow - and with the car traffic and heavy headwinds and possible rain it may not be pretty - I won't be doing this event again.