View Single Post
Old 07-11-05, 09:59 AM
rainedon

Bikes: A light one, a heavy one, a yellow one and a rusty one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My big bike ride

I did my biggest fixed ride ever and I thought I'd share a little bit. The Seattle to Portland bicycle classic was this last weekend and has been part of a goal that I've had all year. So on Friday morning in Porltand, I hopped on my old bridgestone conversion and rode the STP route backwards from Portland to Seattle. Then on Saturday morning, I hopped on the very same bike and headed back towards Portland. The plan was to make it all the way back to Portland, but I only made it to Rainier, OR and then finished up into Portland on Sunday. The way up was different than the way back in two major ways. On the way up it rained on me for 125 straight miles, while the weather was pretty good on the way down. On the way up I rode by myself and on the way back I was riding with 8,000 other people.

Stats:
Friday: 190 miles
Saturday: 150 miles
Sunday: 72 miles (did a little extra around town when I got home)
Total: 412 miles

I only saw one other fixie on the whole ride and didn't get a chance to talk with him. I had a really good time and wouldn't be opposed to doing it again sometime. It was funny, because the 72 mile sunday ride felt like a little jaunt down to the store compared to the first two days. Oh yeah, I rode a 42x15.