View Single Post
Old 11-21-11, 11:46 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by formicaman
So I've been commuting for 10 years and never had so much as a close call, but last Friday some drunk driver with a previous DUI from the PREVIOUS EVENING killed a father of 11 cycling on the same street I will be commuting on if I get a new job. At 6 in the evening! Now, the cyclist probably had no lights and maybe he wasn't in the bike lane, but it's hard not to think that it could have been me.

I know the answer is to just be aware and well-lit and hope for the best, but part of my route would be where this doofus and about a thousand other people drive in from all over to get their drugs. I am considering avoiding this heavily-trafficked 4-lane avenue with marked bike lanes in favor of sidestreets where speeds would be lower and traffic lighter. However, the downside of THOSE streets is that they are through REALLY bad neighborhoods. Again, never had a problem riding through the ghetto apart from people asking me if I wanted drugs, but jeez.
I do this very thing for a portion of my commute - I avoid a road with a bike lane (very narrow lane, in the door zone and buzz zone, 35mph posted limit 45mph typical speed), opting instead for urban neighborhoods with trees, 25mph speed limit. For me it is just better all around.

Yes,, an idiot driver could take me out anywhere, but if I have an option to take a less anxiety-inducing route, I'll take it, if for no other reason than to make my commute that much more enjoyable.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 11-21-11 at 12:18 PM.