folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wernst
All,

So, I noticed a small crack on the seat tube of my 2006 Dahon Mariner. The bike is more than 5 years old and therefore out of warranty.
Oh, oh.
Originally Posted by wernst
Just after taking these photos, I've marked the length of the crack with a Sharpie, so that I can determine if the crack is growing. I have never ever ridden with the seatpost extended past its limit markings (in fact, I normally keep the seat post about half an inch lower than its limit), never hopped a curb, and I ride on a sprung Brooks Flyer (which I thought would absorb any excess stress.)
Any thoughts on a course of action? Repairs possible?

Thanks,
Warr
Apparently, you have not abused the bike. In fact, you seemed to follow pretty much Dahon's guidelines and suggestions on the proper use of their bikes (I should know, I once owned 2 of them). As for the course of action, the next step is yours to take. It all depends on how much money, time, and probable hassle you wish to spend on the bike. I hope you did take the time to register the bike on their Website after purchase if you bought it new. As discussed above, you could contact Dahon itself or your dealer that you bought if from if it was a new purchase for further guidance and instructions. If not possible, you might consider these choices:
  • Repair it yourself (get quotes from reputable bike shops that are experienced with repairing cracked frame).
  • Strip the bike of it's good parts and either sell those parts online as used-or keep the parts for future bikes to offset the financial loss as much as possible (my own choice of action for a previous bike).
  • Buy another bike (the preferred option forced on most people for the flood of unrepairable or costly to repair bikes that cost more to repair than they are worth or even purchased new-like many to most imported-from-the-far-east products offered new nowadays, not just bikes).

Don't feel too bad. It is a real gamble for the longevity of most any selfsame products of any type by the comsumer.

Originally Posted by vmaniqui
..or you could check with thor.
I don't see how Thor could help here. I live only 15 miles away from Dahon's North America Headquarters. It is just a little office/warehouse combo with a few employees when I drove by on the way to visit my brother a few years back. Nothing impressive at all. I worked at the Sears Southern California Regional HQ and it was far bigger than that.

See for yourselves: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=833+Meridian+Street,+Duarte,+CA&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.089481,44.736328&vpsrc=0&hnear=833+Meridian+St,+Duarte,+California+91010&t=h&z=16

Last edited by folder fanatic; 11-22-11 at 07:44 PM.