Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
1) Proper size.
2) CLEAN seat tube.
3) Greased seat tube.
4) Be sure clamping area isn't pinched.
5) Check slot by clamp to be sure there's no burrs on the inside of the tube. If so I use a Dremel and a sanding drum to just lightly buzz the inside of the tube right at the slot. Then a pass with fine sandpaper.

The post should move up and down fairly easily with moderate pressure and without twisting.

Anyone else?
these are my steps as well. when i am setting a new bike up i will always measure off my old bike and then set it a touch high to account for possible pedal stack height or saddle flex differences. i then dial it in by going down. if i do have to come back up i always pull straight up. if you do the prep work above you shouldnt ever have to twist. (removing a post from a used bike can be different...)

if i am setting a bike for someone else and dont have a bike to measure i leave the saddle very high to prevent having to come back out.

Originally Posted by cuda2k
Any recommendations on getting into the little corners of a crankset, especially the backside of a triple 110BCD? Short of lots of elbow grease?
i get into corners by wrapping some sandpaper around the back side of an old pocket knife. when you are doing this you will want to keep the pressure somewhat light and sand using the same step down method. you may only be able to run the paper back and forth causing lines in the part but as your paper gets finer these lines will start to fade. i dont bother trying to make these corners perfect but you can make them look good enough that they blend in from normal viewing angles. this method is handy for getting into pinch points on derailleurs that are difficult or impractical to completely disassemble.