jimnolimit
attacking the streets!

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigUgly
I have been in a slump the past month or two and can't seem to get out. This past week has been worse. I dropped 35 pounds this year and got down to 222 in September but drifted back up to 230 since. I stopped logging my food intake and was handling it well, feeling I made the lifestyle adjustment I needed to keep the wieght off and keep losing. I was running and riding at least once a week. I have seemed to have lost my motivation. I have intentions to do stuff but it is so easy to blow it off because it is cold out, rainy, too busy, too tired, blah, blah, blah...have been hittin the soda pretty hard as well...

I need you guys to kick my arse and get me out of my slump....please.
my theory: people tend to have an all or nothing attitude when it comes to exercising. a big problem for most is that they don't exercise for a few weeks and then they fall out of the groove. my solution is to never fall out of the groove. i'll give you an example: my goal is to lift weights 4 times a week. now there are occasions that i don't have the time to put in a full exercise, so i go to the gym for 5-10 minutes, then leave. days i can't physically make it to the gym, i will do some push-ups and sit-ups just to keep my schedule. my thinking is this: people are habitual creatures, so we have to reinforce good habits. there are times i take my bike out for 4-5 miles, to some that might seem like a waste, but it's not. it keeps my good habit going, plus 20 minutes of riding is better than 0 minutes. also, over time, those small rides add up. two or three 5 mile rides a week adds up to 40-60 extra miles a month and never falling out of the groove.

i haven't been riding my bike that much lately (the weather hasn't been too good), but instead of sitting home, i have been walking a lot and i'm making a habit of it. every day when i get home from work i set a 30 minute minimum, but i usually do 40-45 minutes. on my two days off i set a 1 hour minimum, but i usually do 1.5-2 hours. this keeps me outside and moving, two good habits.

my advise: take your bike out for 5-10 minutes, then go home, even if you want to ride more. this will make you want to do more riding, making you "hungry" for more. it all starts with your first step to get the ball rolling. don't make excuses and put it off for another day, there is no time like the present. good luck

p.s. stay away from soda, even diet soda. all it does is keep your taste elevated for sugary foods. drinking soda is a bad habit.

Last edited by jimnolimit; 12-02-11 at 05:22 PM.