no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phage
I'm looking for some additional storage space to avoid carrying a backpack for weekend trips that could also function for a daily commute.

The distances are relatively short (<25 miles), but lugging my back pack around is a bit less than ideal. Ideally the bag would be large enough to carry several days clothes, some random personal affects, and be relatively easy to take on and off.

There's been a bunch of bags from Ortlieb, Avenir, and M Wave that came up in searches, though at least the latter two look a bit flimsy.

Would love to see what you guys use and your thoughts on them.

Thanks!
I understand wanting to get the weight off of your back, but there is a question that needs to be asked here:

What kind of bike do you have? Or better yet, what kind of geometry does it have?

If you have shorter chain stays, the odds of heel strike go up. The solution is to get a rack with a longer platform like the Jandd Expedition (ideal) or talk to Wayne at the Touring Store. The only thing is, the further back you move the load back to ensure heel clearance, the more adverse the bikes handling will become.

Another question is whether you do a bunch of on/off errand running or simply A to B and back? If you don't stray too far from your bike, something using the Carradice SQR system might interest you.