View Single Post
Old 12-06-11, 09:49 PM
Easy Peasy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
I was about to start a thread by the very same name.

Last year I did 5,000 miles including commuting the entire year round. I just don't know if I can do it again.

I have all the gear (magicshine, showerspass, lobster mitts, balaclava, studded tires) and four different bikes to choose from (including a belt drive IGH w/drum brakes); that's not the problem. And i don't feel particularly unsafe, even at night when it's raining.

It just takes too long.

what is normally a 45-50 minute commute in is at least an hour and can take 1:15 by the time the snow has piled up and blocks me from filing past traffic at an intersection. The ride home, normally 1:10 can take an hour and a half for the same reasons PLUS it's dark on the way home.

Worse, whereas in summertime I just grab a helmet and go, winter riding requires more time to suit up with all the layers. Given the huge temperature swings in Boston, I often take extra jackets or two types of gloves just in case.

And yes, the OP is right that changing a flat in subfreezing temperatures completely sucks.

I'm thinking it's just not worth it this winter.
For me bike commuting has to be fun, and so far, riding in rain, wind and cold weather has been fun, but I also don't think trudging through deep snow and riding on ice will be fun. So when that comes (hopefully not too soon), I'm stowing my bikes til Spring and taking the 4WD.