View Single Post
Old 12-07-11, 11:52 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Ramped cogs on C&V bikes

I have a 1994 hybrid that I converted to drop bars. I changed the shifters from twist grip shifters to Suntour Bar-Cons. The setup, driving ramped gears with the friction shifters, works great. The shifting action back at the derailleur is just like indexed shifters. Once in a while I need to trim the Bar-Con, but other than that it is just like indexed shifting.

I also put Bar-Cons on my 1983 Raleigh Super Course. It has Suntour aRX derailleurs, 6-speed freewheel, etc. I see that Shimano ramped 6-speed freewheels are readily available. I wonder if anyone has replaced a non-ramped freewheel with a ramped one, on a bike that was originally outfitted for friction shifting. If I dropped in the ramped Shimano freewheel, would I see the clean shifting similar to on my hybrid?

Last question... how do you feel about mixing the Shimano freewheel into the Suntour drivetrain? C&V faux pas, or just a replacement of a wear item? I guess it irks me that Shimano visibly brands their freewheels:

The SunRace freewheel is a little more nondescript and doesn't call attention to the mix & match, so maybe a better option for that reason:

One last question... would a 7-speed freewheel fit into the same width as the 6-speed and work as a drop-in replacement?

Note that I've already updated the handlebars and put aero brake levers on when I put the bar-cons on the bike, so it's no longer stock as it is.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."