Old 12-10-11, 05:29 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgensince74
.... I am at a point where I really can't spin much faster due to back issues(4 back surgeries), if I spin much faster for very long my back will put me out of commision for days.
When I read this, I'm thinking posture-related. One thing pushing harder on slower cadences will do (apart from increasing the load on your knees), is to make it easier for you to brace your upper body against the pedalling action. Lose that bracing action, your torso will try to tilt forward more, and that force will have to be soaked up somewhere. Most probably by the arms stepping in and carrying more weight. And that will then transfer over to your shoulders and your back.

Or maybe you're running the seat a tad too high, and get that funny looking pelvis tilt at each stroke? I can see that messing up a back real easy too.

So maybe there are other things that you can research. A cadence of 60 is the kind of thing you find as a specific strength exercise, in tailored cyclist training schedules. But I can't think of anyone that'd suggest it for regular use.