Old 12-12-11, 09:10 PM
c3hamby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are thinking of doing RAAM read this book. If you have a Kindle you can dowload the first couple of chapters free. I read that much and decided I will never do RAAM. If you aren't done by the first two chapters then read the whole thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Hell-on-Two-Wh...743334&sr=1-12

There is a shorter version of the RAAM that stops in Colorado.

Bike: A touring bike like the Surly LHT will be more comfortable because it absorbs more road bumps. A carbon racing bike is typically going to be faster because it doesn't absorb as well transferring that fun to you. It's also lighter. Are you going for the fastest possible time? Are you trying to win a race? Go with a racing bike.

Training: Lots of miles, sounds like you are on the right track. Hill climbing.

Lighting-One on the helmet, and two on the handlebars. Planet Bike is a great quality light. Don't skimp on this. You want the lights to hold up and last as long on batteries as it can. And you want the light to be bright. Cheaping out will sacrifice these things.

Gearing. Advantage of going with a touring bike is that you get a triple up front. If you don't do that you are going to have a double. Triple sure is nice for climbing up those hills when your legs are done.

I don't have anything else to add to the answers that other posters have provided.