View Single Post
Old 12-13-11, 10:40 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by Kanegon
No, they're both sealed cartridges, but the seals actually pop off to reveal bearings in races bolted to the shell. I'm not sure if there's crud and wear under there, but rolls nicely with new grease. On the non drive side of the rear hub, I couldn't get the axle off and out of the way. Anyone know how to get take these apart? Do I need a special tool? What a PITA, considering I've ridden thru hundreds of miles of mud and water on plain bearings and crowns with no issues.
I'm not familar with this particular brand but many use a captive axle. These axles have small shoulders on the inside of the inside faces of the bearings, which prevent the axle from being removed individually. However, the shoulders facilitate removal of the cartridge bearings. Open the jaws of a vice wide enough to support the hub shell but not be under the bearing. Center one end of the hub carefully over the jaws. Tap the opposite end of the axle with a hammer to drive out the cartridge bearing and axle. Thread an old nut onto the axle to avoid damaging the threads when hitting with the hammer. For installingsealed cartridge bearings there is a special flanged driver, that looks like a solid, sealed cartridge bearing. Alternately, an appropriately sized socket, which contacts only the outer casing. can be used.

Sealed cartridge bearings are often damaged by the removal process, so they should not be removed unless there is an existing problem. Since the races are contained within the bearing, you ride them until they are toast and there will be no damage to the hub.