View Single Post
Old 12-15-11, 08:43 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode the gorge as part of a tour on the Lewis and Clark route. I carried a full load on my touring bike. I found it to be a beautiful route, and the strong tailwind didn't hurt! There were some parts where I had to ride on the freeway shoulder. It wasn't bad. There was lots of room on the shoulder, so I didn't feel unsafe, but it was loud! There are a lot of trucks. I missed the turnoff where the bike trail goes up and over - the famous place with the stairways with the grooves for bike tires. As a result I rode through a tunnel with a minimal shoulder. That was the scariest part.

There were two bike paths I rode on - one before Bridge of the Gods, and the other a little further east (I'm forgetting the name right now.) Both were beautiful! There was lots of climbing on the route. I remember one short jog on a surface road that went straight up and back down. At the time I was thinking I should have just stayed on the freeway. (I was carrying a big load.) Heading up the old highway towards the lookout building (again, names aren't coming) was a good climb, but the view at the top made it worth it. The climb up to the Mosier lookout was also challenging. Also, I crossed the Columbia to camp at Maryhill State Park in Washington. Then I stayed on the Washington side to head east. The climb up to Highway 14 from Marysville was steep (but relatively short.)

It was a great place to ride!